RE: Rear end of 78 spit

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Rear end of 78 spit
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph R Schneider)
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 09:51:24 -0500
Cc: papilon@hotmail.com
(snip)
>Hello everyone,  I have a 78 spitfire that while turning left it sounds
>as though some sort of bearing in the rear is crunching.  I do not know
>but to me it sounds as though some sort of CV-joint is going bad.  Could
>someone tell me what this noise is. Thanx Trevor
(snip)
Trevor-
I know you've heard about u-joints and wheel bearings in this thread, but
this is also the classic place for spider gears (in the differential) to
make noise
this is, of course, a bigger problem than u-joints
I haven't been an LBC owner long enough to talk about the way to
differentiate half shaft u-joint noises from differential noises in a spit,
I hope the LBC veterans on the list have some advice
good luck
Joe

Joseph R Schneider    Web Page http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~jschneid/JRS.HTML
76 Spitfire 1500  FM45587UC  Ilinois license plates "SPIT BOY"   VTR #11526
*Spit happens*