Re: TR-4 Questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-4 Questions
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 14:08:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 16 May 1997, Darrell wrote:

> One of my '62 TR-4s will be going down for a frame-off restoration
> shortly, and I have a couple of questions on originality.  The goal for
> this one is a 100 point car, the other TR-4 (later number) will be the
> every day driver.
>
> 1.  Should the metal dashboard be body color or white (I have one of
> each currently).

White.

> 2.  Frame color (again), is the frame supposed to be black, or body
> color, or (like the Spit) body color over black?

Black.  The factory's show cars sometimes had body-color frames, but that
was too expensive for regular production.

> 3.  Is it true that the very early 1962 TR-4s used chrome over brass
> trim at the top of the windscreen frame and around the cockpit?  If this
> is true, is there a source for these pieces of trim?  Both of my '62s
> have aluminum on the top of the windscreen and one is a Surrey Top, but
> the other also has aluminum around the back of the cockpit.

True.  At some point early in production the change was made from chromed
(expensive but durable) to anodized aluminum (less expensive but more
easily damaged), but I don't know exactly when.  The factory parts manual
doesn't show different part numbers, so the original number must have
been used for both types.  My TR4 (CT3154LO) has a chromed windscreen cap.
The cockpit trim is aluminum, but I know it is a replacement installed by
the DPO.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.