Re: TR-4 Questions

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR-4 Questions
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 15:07:36 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 18 May 1997 ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-05-16 14:18:15 EDT, fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us (Chip
> Old)  writes:
>
> > My TR4 (CT3154LO) has a chromed windscreen cap.
> > The cockpit trim is aluminum, but I know it is a replacement installed
> > by the DPO.
>
> Chip,  thanks for that.  Is the windscreen cap original?  Any chance that it
> was "re-done" from aluminun to brass/chrome.  If you've been following this
> thread you can see that I'm trying to establish a reference point for these
> items.  Thanks again.  Cheers

I can't prove that the chromed windscreen cap is original to my car
(CT3154LO), but I've always assumed it is because (1) it's a pretty early
TR4 and (2) I've seen chromed caps on a couple of TR4s with slightly
higher commission numbers.  Of course, they could have been retrofits
too...

This kind of thing can be extremely tough to pin down since Triumph didn't
document minor changes like this in the factory parts manuals.  I don't
envy you your job of documenting changes like this.  I did the same thing
for T-Type MGs many years ago, and even after years of collecting data I
was left with a lot of "changed at approximately car number xxxx"  and
"changed some time between car number XXXX and YYYY" entries. Good luck!

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.