RE: Spitfire clutch bleeding

To: Hayes <htjhayes@mysurf.com> (Return requested), "Triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Spitfire clutch bleeding
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 16 May 1997 10:58:00 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0871A337CA028084-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 16 May 1997 10:58:00 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 16 May 1997 10:58:00 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0871A337CA028084*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Josh Hayes wrote:
[snip] After rebuilding the engine on my 1978 Spitfire, I found that my
clutch no longer worked. I removed the clutch assembly, rebuilt and
cleaned it completely and put it back together ensuring that the pin goes
back to the piston, etc, etc. After bleeding them I tried it and it still
didn't work. I've tried several bleeding methods but cannot seem to find
one that works. My master cylinder is okay as I have had it recently
rebuilt. I've ruled out just about everything except the method of
bleeding I have been using and, god forbid, having put some vital clutch
part in wrong. [snip]
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Josh - have you checked the slave cylinder to see if it is frozen?  How are
you bleeding the system - from bottom or with a Mity Vac?  You said you
inspected the clutch, I assume also the throwout arm and throwout bearing?
 The Spitfire clutch hydraulic system is about as simple as they come, and I
am sure you will determine the problem soon.  It may be a cracked throwout
arm that escaped detection the first time.  What is the symptom - does the
pedal go to the floor with no resistance? If you can push fluid through the
system then it sounds like something inside the bellhousing is broken, not
lined up properly, not the M/C.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe