Re: TR6 trouble

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 trouble
From: mrdr@buckeyeweb.com (The Romagni's)
Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 19:13:05 -0400
Hello fellow listers:

Several days ago I posted a cry for help regarding my TR6. Briefly, the
problem was that I changed a number of the ignition components and the
car ran like crap.

Here's the resolution:

Barry Schwartz posted something to the list several days ago that
sounded like my problem. His diagnosis was that the firing of the coil
was occuring between terminals. I felt that I had replaced everything
but the electronic ignition (Pertronix Ignitor) and that the car ran
fine before that. My conclusion was that the Ignitor was not firing at
the right time. However, I wasn't sure how to fixit. Since I was going
to be out of town on business, I called the local LBC mechanic and took
the car to him. I explained to him what I did and my theory.

He called me back the next day and told me the car was fixed and that it
was indeed what I thought. To fix it he disconnected the retard spring
from the unit (no problem, mine is disconnected anyway. He then rotated
the plate clockwise a bit so that the "switching" occured when it
should. He then, fitted a piece of metal to the plate and distributor to
hold the Ignitor in place so it doesn't move.

Picked the car up today, and its never run better!

Thanks to all for the help! I'm now ready for British Car Week.