Re: TR6 trouble

To: "The Romagni's" <mrdr@buckeyeweb.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 trouble
From: Scott Paisley <scotty@csn.net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 10:41:55 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> I have a 1974 TR6 which has severe misfiring, hesitation, popping etc.
> It seems that the warmer the car gets, the worse it runs. After about 6
> miles the car won’t idle, the misfiring is throughout the range and both
> at idle and under load:

Sure sounds like something in the ignition... Let's debug that first...

> added electronic ignition (Pertronix Ignitor)
> replaced the spark plugs (Bosch Platinum - WR8DP) gapped to .035
> changed the dynamic timing to 12BTDC
> replace the rotor and cap
> upgraded the coil to Lucas Sport
> replaced the spark plug wires

I would check the following...

Take a timing light, and make sure that the car advances.  Watch the
timing marks advance while revving the engine.

Set the timing to 6 BTDC (dynamic) or even at the specification of
4 ATDC to see if there is an improvement.  The 10-12 you see people
quote to set timing is a static mark, and I think that you car might
be too far advanced.

Since you replaced the spark plug wires, be sure that you don't have
two wires crossed.  The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4.

Some rotors cannot accept a large advance.  They simply don't have the
range to make the connection.  Check to see if you have the smaller
rotor by comparing it to your old one.  You *do* still have the old one
right?

After all of this, check for spark on each wire by using your timing
light.  You can actually see a misfire this way.  (You could even
do this test before chaning anything else to see if you have a
spark problem)

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck!

-Scotty '75 TR6