Re: TR3B engine #-OOPS!

To: thefryes@iconn.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3B engine #-OOPS!
From: TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 03:17:18 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-13 11:46:36 EST, I write:

 > I believe your car has the original body, engine ... I understand all
TR3B's
 > had body numbers that started with TSF, even if it had a commission number
 > starting with TCF... The engine number, for VTR concours purposes, is
 > considered original if it is within a reasonable number of the commission
 > number. Certainly, yours is.

You respond:

 That is certainly good to hear.  When you compiled the '3B list, did any
 owners provide engine #'s?  If so, were any engine #'s _lower_ than
 Commission #'s?

I reflected on your comment, "lower than," and reconsidered my earlier
comment. Checking with the authority, TRA Judging Standards and Restoration
Guidelines, it is clear that I misspoke. It states: "Some TR engines were
used outside the TR line (Doretti and Morgan); therefore, the engine number
in a TR should be equal to or greater than the commission number of the
car...." It states later that if the the engine installed is of the type
installed for the commission number but the number indicates the engine is
not original to the car, a minor deviation will be made. Sorry.

In any event, it sounds like you have a good car for restoration, still go
for it!

Good luck,

Steve Thornton
Bowling Green, KY