Re: TR3B engine #-OOPS!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3B engine #-OOPS!
From: kedwards@norfolk.infi.net (Keith A. Edwards)
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 22:15:33 -0500 (EST)
Cc: TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com
>Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 03:17:18 -0500 (EST)
>From: TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com
>Subject: Re: TR3B engine #-OOPS!
>
>In a message dated 97-02-13 11:46:36 EST, I write:
>
> > I believe your car has the original body, engine ... I understand all TR3B's
> > had body numbers that started with TSF, even if it had a commission number
> > starting with TCF... The engine number, for VTR concours purposes, is
> > considered original if it is within a reasonable number of the commission
> > number. Certainly, yours is.
>
>You respond:
>
> That is certainly good to hear.  When you compiled the '3B list, did any
> owners provide engine #'s?  If so, were any engine #'s _lower_ than
> Commission #'s?
>
>I reflected on your comment, "lower than," and reconsidered my earlier
>comment. Checking with the authority, TRA Judging Standards and Restoration
>Guidelines, it is clear that I misspoke. It states: "Some TR engines were
>used outside the TR line (Doretti and Morgan); therefore, the engine number
>in a TR should be equal to or greater than the commission number of the
>car...." It states later that if the the engine installed is of the type
>installed for the commission number but the number indicates the engine is
>not original to the car, a minor deviation will be made. Sorry.

I will have to disagree with the idea that engine numbers should be > or =
the commission number.

For TSF198L, the numbers are as follows:

engine          TSF50E
body            TSF/220
transmission    TSF251 (fully synchronized BTW, as are all the TSFs I have
heard of)

I have owned TSF198L since 1978, bought from the second owner.  I truly
doubt there was any engine swap, considering the rarity of the TSF TR3Bs.

I think we may be giving the Forward Radiator Company too much credit (for
knowing what they were doing).

I also checked in my garage for TCF103L, but there was no body number, or
original engine or original transmission (the car was turned into a race car
after 1000 street miles).

--
Keith Edwards
Suffolk, Virginia, USA

'62 Triumph TR3B TCF103L former SCCA E/P race car (yellow with blue stripe)
'62 Triumph TR3B TSF198L unrestored
'67 Triumph TR4A CT72418L "live" rear axle (my first car!)
'67 Triumph TR4A CT70921L "live" rear axle (former parts car)
'54 Austin-Healey 100 (100M?) 151664 very unrestored
'54 Austin Princess Vanden Plas (My wife says the Princess is For Sale.)