Re: Limited Slip Options for TR6

To: gpetrola@prairienet.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Limited Slip Options for TR6
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 02:04:58 -0400

<<      As an owner of a "Detroit Locker" in a TR4 I must agree with Ken...
        However not so vehemently... Nasty? Well it klunks at odd times,
        lurches to the left on acceleration... >>
Greg-
I too have spent many a mile with the "odd" klunk from the rear end of my
detroit lockered TR. On the whole, it wasn't "nasty" at all. The lurch to the
left on your car is probably due to weak/collapsed springs in your unit. When
correctly setup, there should be no pulling to the side at all. This is a
common complaint when the springs have lost tension inside the unit. Often,
when the locker is engaged in spirited driving, eg. stomping on the gas pedal
with your best Damon/Graham Hill style, the force of the locking will tend to
"wind up" the rear suspension which uses all the compiance built into the
suspension. The forces continue, until one tire slips, or you back off the
pedal. This often results in a scary sounding klunk from the back, but is
actually "normal"

All in all, I've gotten used to dealing with the locker and would miss it.
Kinda like an old friend saying "Hi" at odd times

Nick in Nor Cal.