Re: Limited Slip Options for TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Limited Slip Options for TR6
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:16:54 -0400
Bob Lang writes:
>Now I'm going to go out in the yard and take a diff out of one of the
>parts cars and weld it up into a "reall locker". It'll be a handful to
>drive on a tight course, but at least I'll be able to "put the power down".

Bob, I'd recommend against this.  A weld-locked diff may work well on
road courses, but the tight turns of an autocross course will accentuate
the understeer caused by the rear wheels unable to turn at different rates.
In other words, it'll push like a pig!!!  IMHO, of course; but I've heard
this
verified by someone who did the same thing.

If you have trouble with rear wheel spin under power (and run in SP), I'd
suggest a stiffer front sway bar.  Yes, it'll cause more understeer, but
not as much as a locked diff.  It may improve your transient handling
as well, netting you faster slalom speeds.  Basically, you want the front
so stiff that you're nearly lifting the inside front tire coming out of a
tight
turn at full throttle.

Just my opinions,
Dave Williamson  (silikal@aol.com)  Spits in bits