Re: TR4 cylinder head replacement

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, cyf@drmail.dr.lucent.com
Subject: Re: TR4 cylinder head replacement
From: "Jim Sudduth" <jim.sudduth@autodesk.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 96 09:53:02 PST
     Ok, am I going to be the first one on the list to elucidate The Rope
     Trick? :-).

     Here goes:

     If you get all of the nuts holding the head off and everything removed
     and you can't get the head to break loose from the block, try The Rope
     Trick.

     Get some soft nylon rope, the small filament kind. About 15' should
     do. Find out which pistons rotate in tandem. On my TR6 it's 1 and 6,
     on the '4 it might be 1 and 3 (just guessing) - let's assume it is 1
     and 3. With all the spark plugs removed, turn the engine by hand and
     watch through the spark plug hole until you see the number 1 piston
     coming up. When it's about 3/4 of the way up start stuffing rope into
     the cylinder. Be gentle but stuff it full. Then also stuff number 3
     full. Then turn the engine over. You can do this by hand or with the
     starter motor. I used the starter and it worked like a charm. The head
     should pop loose. Now just carefully work the head up off the studs,
     being careful not to trap your fingers under it (they're heavy) and
     use things like wooden blocks and stakes to pry and hold it - don't
     use metal tools because of the danger of scratching the head/block
     mating surfaces.

     Jim
     jims@autodesk.com
     '74 TR6 CF20076U