re:Re: driving tests, speed limits, etc

To: "Joseph M. Kramlinger" <kramling@tony.bc.edu>
Subject: re:Re: driving tests, speed limits, etc
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 12:08:05 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: PxA5%EngPpl%GS@go50.comp.pge.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 7 May 1996, Joseph M. Kramlinger wrote:

> This is NOT intended as a flame! :-)

> for my gas, and chip in for kegs at weekend parties.  Had I not had a
> car, I would have been stuck riding a bicycle to dates, and public
> transportation simply isn't everywhere.

> Teens, as stupid some of them  may be, need to have access to cars and
> licenses.

        I agree 100%. Having said that I will reiterate the point that I
        made a couple weeks back. Since you can't stop the hormones, educate
        the brain. Give them a fighting chance by giving them PERFORMANCE
        DRIVING LESSONS. Drivers Ed. today, for all the good it does, is the
        equivalent of a slide show and a few weekends with dad.

        Contract with Bondurant, Bertil Roos or even the local SCCA chapter.
        Let them learn what it feels like to go into a skid and correct it.
        Let them learn about proper braking. Let them learn about a
        vehicle's limits by driving at the limits... in a safe environment
        where the only thing hurt will be a little pride. Oh yes, while
        you've got these young people as an audience, teach them about cars
        in general. So they are not at the mercy of people fobbing off unsafe
        used vehicles, or (the scum of the earth) dishonest repair shops.

        Then to steal a great idea from a fellow SOL, Make them work a few
        weekends in an ER as a living example of what happens when you don't
        use your head behind the wheel.

        Of course there will be those who ignore everything... That's
        Mother Nature's way of thinning the herd of the weak and stupid...

        My opinion... Flame away!!!

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois