re:Re: driving tests, speed limits, etc

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re:Re: driving tests, speed limits, etc
From: tgentr@rw1.rworld.com
Date: 8 May 1996 14:54:34 EDT
Greg Petrolati wrote:
GP>     Since you can't stop the hormones, educate the brain. Give them a
fighting
chance by giving them
GP>     PERFORMANCE DRIVING LESSONS. Drivers Ed. today, for all the good it
does,
is the
GP>     equivalent of a slide show and a few weekends with dad.

Greg,
I agree 100%!  I still wonder how I survived my own teenage driving,
but it probably had something to do with exploring the limits on
deserted roads and parking lots.  I came closer than I should have to
those limits in traffic, but at least I knew ahead of time where the
limits were.

The problem is that many "automotivley challenged" adults believe that
if you show kids how to "drive fast" you are encouraging them to do so,
making you one small step from Satan incarnate.  Perhaps we need to
take a page out of NHRA's history and promote autocrossing as a way to
take racing off the street.  I realize that isn't the driver's ed.
ideal, but it may be a step in the right direction.

Tom Gentry