Driving age (no lbc content)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Driving age (no lbc content)
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Wed, 08 May 1996 13:16:21 -0400
I have been trying to keep my soapbox under my desk on this one, but, I
can't any more.  I apologize in advance.  I really think we are missing
the real problem.

(Soapbox makes it's fateful appearance)

At least young people have the ability to be good drivers.  Young people
have reflexes.  They may not be fully honed, but the reflexes are there.
Old drivers, and old is a relative term here, are a much, much bigger
danger.

The closest I ever came to meeting my maker was caused be some old
geezer who made a left turn across traffic directly in front of me.
Unfortunately, I was riding a motorcycle.  My recollection of the
incident is quite brief.

I remember riding down the street, I remember watching in disbelief this
guy in a Lincoln make the turn right in front of me, I remember seeing
asphalt moving very quickly right in front of my eyes, then I remember
seeing some security guard hunched over my body saying "Don't move,
don't move!"

Well, I did move.  I got up and I walked away from that one, and
overheard the Lincoln driver tell the police officer he had just been
released from the hospital the day before, after being in for six weeks!
He was 80 if he was a day.

The only reason I am alive today is because after about 10,000 miles on
a motorcycle, I knew what to do.  (and my full face helmet)  I locked up
both wheels, laid the bike down and laid on the bike.  We slammed into
that Lincoln at about 35 miles per hour.  It took 4 guys to get the bike
out from under the car.

Lessons learned from this incident:

1       Never ride a street motorcycle again;
2       It is the other guy, not you, who is going to get you;
2 1/2   Odds are the other guy has some sort of impairment effecting
        his/her ability to safely operate their vehicle;
3       The human body can put an incredible sized dent in the side of a
        Lincoln.

In all seriousness, drivers are competent for a majority of their
driving career.  A young driver has the ability to learn and has the
eyesight and reflexes needed to become a competent driver.  As old age
sets in, driving ability deminishes.  Unless a person decides for
themselves it is time to stop driving, WE HAVE NO WAY OF GETTING UNFIT
DRIVERS OFF THE ROAD!  My grandmother will be 90 this year, and she
still drives, and she wonders why no one will ride with her!  She says
she is not ready to give it up.

In my opinion, it is the older people, who do not want to give up their
"privledge" to drive, that are a much greater hazard to the world.  To
make matters worse, demographic data shows the fastest growing section
of the population is over 50 years old.  People are living longer, and
having fewer kids.  This trend will continue.  This means more older,
less reactive drivers on the road.

We need to re-test these aging drivers to make sure their vision is
satisfactory, and their judgement and reflexes are not impaired.

(Soapbox kicked back under desk)

Well, I feel a little better.  I hope I have not offended any
individuals out there who may be approaching their "golden years."

And, eh, sorry about the waste of bandwidth.

Henry Frye

TR250 - Yea, yea, I know, it is still apart.  At least it isn't marking
Greg's territory, yet!