Re: TR6 elec system puzzler

To: BROWN@dnenet.nov.dne.bnl.gov
Subject: Re: TR6 elec system puzzler
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 95 16:47:39 EDT
>Is there a condition that would cause the electrically
>driven gauges (temp, fuel) to both read high?

        Yes, a malfunctioning voltage stabilizer.  This hides on the
back of the speedometer, and provides an ~10V steady level for the
instruments, if all is well.  It's an evil electro-mechanical thing I think.
There should be a check method (pull voltage from something attached to it,
and see what it is versus what it should be).

>The temp gauge goes > 3/4 scale and seems content
>to stay there - new 165 stat installed w/ no change.

        All that means is that the old thermostat opened.  Remember, a
thermostat decides when to open the cooling system mostly.  Above a specific
level, it's just fully open, and temp is determined by heat input and cooling
capacity.  Mine sits at 1/4 unless I'm sitting in traffic in hot weather,
in which case it starts rising through 1/2.  I think these temp guages aren't
all that accurate as absolute measurements, though they're ok for relative
levels.  You're probably ok unless you're having boil-over problems.

>Perhaps unrelated is an over zealous oil press sw
>describe in a prior post - lights come on at 60 lbs
>by the (mechanical) gauge.

        Unrelated I'd say.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com