TR6 elec system puzzler

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 elec system puzzler
From: "William S. Brown" <BROWN@dnenet.nov.dne.bnl.gov>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 10:36:18 EST
Since we are on the topic of electrical:
1972 TR6 (recently acquired)
Is there a condition that would cause the electrically
driven gauges (temp, fuel) to both read high?
The temp gauge goes > 3/4 scale and seems content
to stay there - new 165 stat installed w/ no change.
As for fuel - I ran out of gas for the first time in
nearly 25 years of driving - gauge showed roughly
1/8 scale.
Perhaps unrelated is an over zealous oil press sw
describe in a prior post - lights come on at 60 lbs
by the (mechanical) gauge.

I performed (correctly I think) the test of the controller
per the Bentley manual, and read a little over 14V
across the battery with the car running.

Anyone care to speculate?

Bill Brown