Re: TR6 elec system puzzler

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, "William S. Brown" <BROWN@dnenet.nov.dne.bnl.gov>
Subject: Re: TR6 elec system puzzler
From: "jpratchi" <jpratchi@isdlink1.ess.harris.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 95 11:13:40 est
Bill asked;
   Is there a condition that would cause the electrically
driven gauges (temp, fuel) to both read high?
The temp gauge goes > 3/4 scale and seems content to stay there
 - new 165 stat installed w/ no change.
As for fuel - I ran out of gas for the first time in nearly
25 years of driving - gauge showed roughly1/8 scale.
Perhaps unrelated is an over zealous oil press sw describe in a
prior post - lights come on at 60 lbsby the (mechanical) gauge.

I performed (correctly I think) the test of the controller per
the Bentley manual, and read a little over 14V across the battery
with the car running.
   Try the Voltage stabilizer which should be mounted to the rear of the
Speedometer and feed the Temperature gauge plus the fuel gauge.  It should
provide about 10 Volts if I remember right.  A fuel gauge reading 1/8 with an
empty tank indicates too high a voltage applied to the sensor.  Same goes for
the too-high temperature reading.

   regards,   John Pratchios