TR6 clutch problems

To: Triumph team <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 clutch problems
From: "Baker, Tony MV" <TBaker@po1.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 95 11:06:00 PDT
Encoding: 28 TEXT
I have a 1974 Triumph TR6. During the past six  years I have been doing a
rolling
restoration whilst using this car for my only transport. The clutch has been
a constant
source or problems. The most common problem is that it does not disengage
completely
leaving it difficult to get in first second and reverse gear. Any ware in
the system and it
becomes impossible to obtain those gears.

I have of course replaced all and I do mean all the parts of the clutch and
in fact the slave
cylinder has been replaced several times.

My latest theory and my question to you is, what angle should the actuator
lever be as it
emerges from the clutch housing. In my case the lever sits 30 degrees back
from the
vertical. This result in me having to elongate the push rod to seven inches.
In one car I
looked at yesterday I noticed that the arm dropped vertical and it struck me
that this
would give it better leverage. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why my
lever is
different.

Tony B