Re: [Tigers] Distributor -> Oil Pump Shaft

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor -> Oil Pump Shaft
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 09:00:59 -0700

--------------B62C8E1ED658000521D81DCB

I use pieces of thread threw the pan/gasket holes to hold the pan gasket
in place. I just cut and pull them out as I install the bolts.

On 8/13/2020 7:51 AM, Dave Munroe via Tigers wrote:
> [...]
> distorts the pan flange and leads to leaks. Mine had been over
> tightened by the previous "mechanic" that had tightened them.
>
> Dave
>
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 11:18 AM Gary <garywinblad@comcast.net
>
>     Missing clip is bad, it can fall into the pan.
>     You can get the pan off in the car.. I think you might have to
>     take out the starter and re-gasket it.
>     I would try more to to re-seat it or get the distributor back first.
>     It should turn pretty easily when in the pump though, should be
>     some drag though.
>     I have a special tool to spin it but a socket should work.. put a
>     drill on it an see if you can spin it
>     to get oil pressure.  Drill needs to be on reverse.  You'll get
>     more resistance at speed.
>     Gary
>

>     On 8/13/2020 5:45 AM, R Flynn via Tigers wrote:
>>     A bit more diagnostic information
>>     - when I run a stiff hanger wire down the side of the shaft, I do
>>     not feel the retaining clip that should be present
>>     - Beveled edge does visually appear to be at the top
>>     - There is no residue in the distributor shaft (i.e. does seem
>>     like the last person in there stuck the shaft into the
>>     distributor just to get it to seat)
>>     - I can get a socket on the oil pump shaft and spin it but there
>>     is zero resistance, not sure if that is normal?
>>
>>     I am a bit concerned that the shaft has come unseated from the
>>     oil pump at the bottom end given there does not appear to be any
>>     retaining clip & it leans over against the wall of the hole it is in.
>>
>>     Starting to wonder if I should drop the oil pan (which I believe
>>     I can do without removing the entire engine, appreciate any input
>>     on that) and do things properly.
>>
>>     On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 9:40 PM Gary <garywinblad@comcast.net
>>

>>         Sometimes they are just difficult...
>>

>>         IIRC, one time we could see the drive shaft was off to one
>>         side.  We
>>
>>         jacked the car on that side so it leaned to the other side
>>

>>         which made it more vertical...
>>

>>         Good luck,
>>

>>         Gary
>>

>>         On 8/12/2020 4:47 PM, R Flynn via
>>
>>         Tigers wrote:
>>

>>>         In trying to replace the distributor after
>>>
>>>         changing my intake manifold on the â??65 289 in my Tiger, I am
>>>
>>>         struggling to get it to slide down over the oil pump shaft,
>>>
>>>         which seems to be leaning over.
>>>

>>>         - tried jiggling the rotor
>>>

>>>         - tried turning the crank with a ratchet while
>>>
>>>         applying gentle pressure to the distributor, though I was doing
>>>
>>>         both
>>>

>>>         - tried using a long socket & extension to put
>>>
>>>         the oil pump shaft itself in different orientations
>>>

>>>         My next attempts will involve
>>>

>>>         - having someone else push down while I turn the
>>>
>>>         crap with a ratchet
>>>

>>>         - trying to pack some grease around the shaft with
>>>
>>>         a screwdriver prior to inserting the distributor to keep the oil
>>>
>>>         pump shaft more centered
>>>

>>>         Would welcome any suggestions, solutions, or words

  <head>
  </head>
      gasket in place. I just cut and pull them out as I install the
      bolts.<br>
      Tigers wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CA+mjxLEnzWiG+--yXTDWwEOiJXrWRS=9G6CfwP=mMQs42vF44g@mail.gmail.com">
          frustrating problem. (Been there and done that.)</div>
          are getting pretty good advice on getting your dizzy
          installed.</div>
          your oil pan:</div>
          took the pan off my 289 block to replace the pan seals
          with the engine in the car. Not too many problems getting it
          off, (didn't have to remove the starter).<br>
          thing back on the car with the pan seals in place was a
          challenge. Getting the block half of the rear seal was tricky,
          as well as keeping the halves in place on the pan while
          maneuvering it around all the obstructions while laying on my
          back with everything almost at nose height. I had the car on
          jacks that just barely gave me room to get it done. A lift
          would have made it much easier. I finally put a small
          dollop of silicone on the seals and let it dry, to hold them
          in place. It worked quite well then.</div>
          the torque settings recommended for the pan bolts. Apparently
          there is a tendency to tighten them too much, which distorts
          the pan flange and leads to leaks. Mine had been over
          tightened by the previous "mechanic" that had tightened them.<br>
          AM Gary &lt;<a href="mailto:garywinblad@comcast.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true">garywinblad@comcast.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            You can get the pan off in the car.. I think you might have
            to take out the starter and re-gasket it.<br>
            I would try more to to re-seat it or get the distributor
            back first.<br>
            It should turn pretty easily when in the pump though, should
            be some drag though.<br>
            I have a special tool to spin it but a socket should work..
            put a drill on it an see if you can spin it<br>
            to get oil pressure.  Drill needs to be on reverse.  You'll
            get more resistance at speed.<br>
            Gary<br>
                side of the shaft, I do not feel the retaining clip that
                should be present</div>
                at the top</div>
                shaft (i.e. does seem like the last person in there
                stuck the shaft into the distributor just to get it to
                seat)</div>
                and spin it but there is zero resistance, not sure if
                that is normal?</div>
                come unseated from the oil pump at the bottom end given
                there does not appear to be any retaining clip &amp; it
                leans over against the wall of the hole it is in.</div>
                oil pan (which I believe I can do without removing the
                entire engine, appreciate any input on that) and do
                things properly.</div>
                    at 9:40 PM Gary &lt;<a
                      href="mailto:garywinblad@comcast.net";
                      target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">garywinblad@comcast.net</a>&gt;
                    wrote:<br>
                    0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                    rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
                      Sometimes they are just difficult...<br>
                      IIRC, one time we could see the drive shaft was
                      off to one side.  We<br>
                      jacked the car on that side so it leaned to the
                      other side<br>
                      which made it more vertical...<br>
                      Good luck,<br>
                      Gary</div>
                        Tigers wrote:<br>
                          distributor after<br>
                          changing my intake manifold on the â??65 289 in
                          my Tiger, I am<br>
                          struggling to get it to slide down over the
                          oil pump shaft,<br>
                          which seems to be leaning over.</div>
                          ratchet while<br>
                          applying gentle pressure to the distributor,
                          though I was doing<br>
                          both</div>
                          &amp; extension to put<br>
                          the oil pump shaft itself in different
                          orientations</div>
                          while I turn the<br>
                          crap with a ratchet</div>
                          around the shaft with<br>
                          a screwdriver prior to inserting the
                          distributor to keep the oil<br>
                          pump shaft more centered</div>
                          solutions, or words<br>
                          of wisdom.</div>
                        -- <br>
                          B9471206: <a

href="http://www.tigersunited.com/car_show/flynn_r/default.asp";
                            target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.tigersunited.com/car_show/flynn_r/default.asp</a></div>
                        <fieldset></fieldset>
                        <pre>_______________________________________________

moz-do-not-send="true">tigers@autox.team.net</a>

Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers"; target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a> <a
href="http://autox.team.net/archive"; target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/garywinblad@comcast.net";
target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/garywinblad@comcast.net</a>

</pre>
                      target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">tigers@autox.team.net</a><br>
                    Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                      rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                    Archive: <a
                      href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";
                      rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
                      rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
                    Unsubscribe: <a

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/flynnr2@gmail.com";
                      rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/flynnr2@gmail.com</a><br>
[...]

            href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/dave@munroe.ca";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/dave@munroe.ca</a><br>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net</a>

</pre>

--------------B62C8E1ED658000521D81DCB--

--===============6569012380368405309==