Re: [Tigers] Distributor -> Oil Pump Shaft

To: Gary <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor -> Oil Pump Shaft
From: Dave Munroe via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 11:51:54 -0300
Cc: rflynn@alum.rpi.edu, rootes1 via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>

--000000000000849c5905acc37286

Rick, a frustrating problem. (Been there and done that.)
I think you are getting pretty good advice on getting your dizzy installed.

Regarding your oil pan:
I recently took the pan off my 289 block to replace the pan seals with the
engine in the car. Not too many problems getting it off, (didn't have
to remove the starter).
Getting the thing back on the car with the pan seals in place was a
challenge. Getting the block half of the rear seal was tricky, as well as
keeping the halves in place on the pan while maneuvering it around all the
obstructions while laying on my back with everything almost at nose height.
I had the car on jacks that just barely gave me room to get it done. A lift
would have made it much easier. I finally put a small dollop of silicone on
the seals and let it dry, to hold them in place. It worked quite well then.
Also, follow the torque settings recommended for the pan bolts. Apparently
there is a tendency to tighten them too much, which distorts the pan flange
and leads to leaks. Mine had been over tightened by the previous "mechanic"
that had tightened them.

Dave

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 11:18 AM Gary <garywinblad@comcast.net> wrote:

> Missing clip is bad, it can fall into the pan.
> You can get the pan off in the car.. I think you might have to take out
> the starter and re-gasket it.
> I would try more to to re-seat it or get the distributor back first.
> It should turn pretty easily when in the pump though, should be some drag
> though.
> I have a special tool to spin it but a socket should work..  put a drill
> on it an see if you can spin it
> to get oil pressure.  Drill needs to be on reverse.  You'll get more
> resistance at speed.
> Gary
>

> On 8/13/2020 5:45 AM, R Flynn via Tigers wrote:
>
> A bit more diagnostic information
> - when I run a stiff hanger wire down the side of the shaft, I do not fee=
> the retaining clip that should be present
> - Beveled edge does visually appear to be at the top
> - There is no residue in the distributor shaft (i.e. does seem like the
> last person in there stuck the shaft into the distributor just to get it =
> seat)
> - I can get a socket on the oil pump shaft and spin it but there is zero
> resistance, not sure if that is normal?
>
> I am a bit concerned that the shaft has come unseated from the oil pump a=
> the bottom end given there does not appear to be any retaining clip & it
> leans over against the wall of the hole it is in.
>
> Starting to wonder if I should drop the oil pan (which I believe I can do
> without removing the entire engine, appreciate any input on that) and do
> things properly.
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 9:40 PM Gary <garywinblad@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> Sometimes they are just difficult...
>>

>> IIRC, one time we could see the drive shaft was off to one side.  We
>>
>> jacked the car on that side so it leaned to the other side
>>

>> which made it more vertical...
>>

>> Good luck,
>>

>> Gary
>>

>> On 8/12/2020 4:47 PM, R Flynn via
>>
>> Tigers wrote:
>>

>> In trying to replace the distributor after
>>
>> changing my intake manifold on the =E2=80=9865 289 in my Tiger, I am
>>
>> struggling to get it to slide down over the oil pump shaft,
>>
>> which seems to be leaning over.
>>

>> - tried jiggling the rotor
>>

>> - tried turning the crank with a ratchet while
>>
>> applying gentle pressure to the distributor, though I was doing
>>
>> both
>>

>> - tried using a long socket & extension to put
>>
>> the oil pump shaft itself in different orientations
>>

>> My next attempts will involve
>>

>> - having someone else push down while I turn the
>>
>> crap with a ratchet
>>

>> - trying to pack some grease around the shaft with
>>
>> a screwdriver prior to inserting the distributor to keep the oil
>>
>> pump shaft more centered
>>

>> Would welcome any suggestions, solutions, or words

> [...]

k, a frustrating problem. (Been there and done that.)</div><div class=3D"gm=
ail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">I think you are getting pretty good =
advice on getting your dizzy installed.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" s=
tyle=3D"font-size:large"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"fo=
nt-size:large">Regarding your oil pan:</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" st=
yle=3D"font-size:large">I recently took the pan off my 289 block to replace=
 the pan seals with=C2=A0the engine in the car. Not too many problems getti=
ng it off, (didn&#39;t have to=C2=A0remove the starter).<br></div><div clas=
s=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">Getting the thing back on the=
 car with the pan seals in place was a challenge. Getting the block half of=
 the rear seal was tricky, as well as keeping the halves in place=C2=A0on t=
he pan while maneuvering it around all the obstructions while laying=C2=A0o=
n my back with everything almost at nose height. I had the car on jacks tha=
t just barely gave me room to get it done. A lift would have made it much e=
asier. I finally put a small dollop=C2=A0of silicone on the seals and let i=
t dry, to hold them in place. It worked quite well then.</div><div class=3D=
"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">Also, follow the torque settings =
recommended for the pan bolts. Apparently there is a tendency to tighten th=
em too much, which distorts the pan flange and leads=C2=A0to leaks. Mine ha=
d been over tightened by the previous &quot;mechanic&quot; that had tighten=
 Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 11:18 AM Gary &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:garywinblad@comca=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rg=
b(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    Missing clip is bad, it can fall into the pan.<br>
    You can get the pan off in the car.. I think you might have to take
    out the starter and re-gasket it.<br>
    I would try more to to re-seat it or get the distributor back first.<br=

    It should turn pretty easily when in the pump though, should be some
    drag though.<br>
    I have a special tool to spin it but a socket should work..=C2=A0 put a
    drill on it an see if you can spin it<br>
    to get oil pressure.=C2=A0 Drill needs to be on reverse.=C2=A0 You&#39;=
ll get more
    resistance at speed.<br>
    Gary<br>
      Tigers wrote:<br>
     =20
        the shaft, I do not feel the retaining clip that should be
        present</div>
        top</div>
        (i.e. does seem like the last person in there stuck the shaft
        into the distributor just to get it to seat)</div>
        spin it but there is zero resistance, not sure if that is
        normal?</div>
        unseated from the oil pump at the bottom end given there does
        not appear to be any retaining clip &amp; it leans over against
        the wall of the hole it is in.</div>
        (which I believe I can do without removing the entire engine,
        appreciate any input on that) and do things properly.</div>
0
            PM Gary &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:garywinblad@comcast.net"; target=
=3D"_blank">garywinblad@comcast.net</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
              Sometimes they are just difficult...<br>
              IIRC, one time we could see the drive shaft was off to one
              side.=C2=A0 We<br>
              jacked the car on that side so it leaned to the other side<br=

              which made it more vertical...<br>
              Good luck,<br>
              Gary</div>
                Tigers wrote:<br>
                  after<br>
                  changing my intake manifold on the =E2=80=9865 289 in my
                  Tiger, I am<br>
                  struggling to get it to slide down over the oil pump
                  shaft,<br>
                  which seems to be leaning over.</div>
                  while<br>
                  applying gentle pressure to the distributor, though I
                  was doing<br>
                  both</div>
                  extension to put<br>
                  the oil pump shaft itself in different orientations</div>
                  turn the<br>
                  crap with a ratchet</div>
                  shaft with<br>
                  a screwdriver prior to inserting the distributor to
                  keep the oil<br>
                  pump shaft more centered</div>
                  solutions, or words<br>
                  of wisdom.</div>