Re: Exhaust questions: paste, wrap, needles

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Exhaust questions: paste, wrap, needles
From: Neil Penberthy <npenberthy@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:56:09 -0800 (PST)
Bill mentioned cracked headers:

"Joe's comments started me on something of a tangent
to this thread. I was wondering what bearing  exhaust
wraps and coatings might have on the cracking which is
a perceived problem with stainless manifolds. Has
anyone done any kind of study on this?"

Bill

My Triumphtune mild steel headers cracked without any
wrap or coatings. I think that the movement of the
engine on the mounts and the movement of the exhaust
system make cracking almost inevitable.

Mine lasted around 50,000 miles and were easily fixed
by an exhaust shop for $10. I may end up using header
wrap as I think the risk of corrision is small here in
Texas, and I am still thinking that my misfire might
be heat related. Maybe I should find some heat shields
for the carbs. I knew I shouldn't have thrown them out
!!

Neil