Starter spacers vs. shims

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter spacers vs. shims
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 08:26:40 -0800
Hello all.  I've got a rebuilt starter installed with an aluminum spacer
that's roughly .5" thick (just eyeballing it) between the starter and the rear
engine plate.  I've seen references in catalogs made to starter "shims".  My
question is this:  Is there a difference between the starter spacer that I
have installed and the starter shims?  If I have a spacer, do I need the shim
as well?  I'd like to find the answer to this question before I turn the key
on this car for the first time!  Thanks in advance.

Take care,

Jeff McNeal (San Diego)

'68 Spitfire Mk3 frame off, bare metal project, aka "Mrs. Jones"
'70 GT6+ "Accidental", eventual restoration project
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
Join  the TOTALLY TRIUMPH NETWORK!
Forums, Photos, How-To's, Classifieds, Links & Triumph Merchandise
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net