Re: Starter spacers vs. shims

To: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter spacers vs. shims
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:34:18 -0800
Thanks to all for your private and list replies.  It would seem that I
shouldn't worry about shims.  However, Nolan's statement below leads me to
wonder...

"Some engines mount the starter with nuts and bolts, not studs or
threaded holes.  These types of mounts are inherently sloppy.  With
these, you do use shims to properly space the starter motor in
relationship to the flywheel."

My starter is mounted to the engine with nuts and bolts, not studs or threaded
holes.  So is this to say that I *will* probably need a shim in addition to
the spacer?  Based on all the other comments I've received, I'm inclined to
try it as mounted and go from there.

Thanks again.

Jeff