Re: Starter spacers vs. shims

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter spacers vs. shims
From: "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net"
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:13:06 -0500
The shims as referred to in this application do not locate the starter
axially regardless if one were to use studs or the bolts and nuts as
supplied.  The spacer has that job.  The shims simply space the starter for
and aft in relation to the flywheel ring gear for proper engagement.  My 72
originally had the spacer and one shim  Possibly the workshop manual has
the specifics of how to determine how many shims would be required if any.
However, I dont have mine handy so I cant confirm or deny that.