Re: Starter spacers vs. shims

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter spacers vs. shims
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:02:03 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>

> Possibly the workshop manual has the specifics of how to determine how many
>shims would be required if any.

As this subject has been playing on my mind, I've gone through the workshop
manual to find the following in the section on the starter motor:

"To Refit.
Measure the distance from the pinion side of the flywheel ring gear to the
mounting face for the  starter and measure the distance from the pinion end to
the face of the starter.
Fit packing to obtain end clearance between the stationary starter pinion and
the flywhel ring gear of 3/32" to 5/32"; this is usually called 'out of mesh
clearance'.
Packing pieces and shims are available in 0.4", 0.5" and 0.016" thicknesses.
Re-connect the cables to the starter motor terminals and finally to the
battery."

Well there you have it - how often have YOU referred to the manual when
refitting a starter motor?
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--