Re: Fw: Delco vs Lucas

To: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Delco vs Lucas
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tom.omalley@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 16:46:07 -0400
On Wed, 8 May 2002 10:04:32 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi folks, I'm after some clarification and list wisdom again. I've been sent
>these questions regarding a Spitfire 4 from a new owner and his friend (who
>also has a MkI so presumably is curious himself as to the answers.) I know
>that the Delco/Lucas debate tends to be a personal choice and people will
>defend both corners but I'm hoping for some relatively simplified
>explanations that I can understand myself, and can pass back to these guys
>to help them make their own choice.

I have a Delco tach-drive dizzy fitted to my '74 Federal 1500.  It
seems to work well.  I can't detect any obvious side play in the
bearing so I assume it's in good nick.  Some time ago I purchased a
used spare from a MkIV.  This looks good too.

I've heard comments that the Delco is less desirable than the Lucas
version but the only thing specific was that the rub block on the
points tend to wear out faster.  Perhaps there's something else.

If Triumph ever fitted a tach-drive Lucas dizzys to U.S. Spits I
haven't seen them.  Can't comment on the UK.  The problem you have
with early cars is that the face of the electronic tach will be
somewhat out of period.  Maybe this can be swapped out.

Finally, both my dizzys are speced with a vacuum retard unit.  So you
probably want to steer clear of late Federal Delco units for your home
market cars.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley