Fw: Delco vs Lucas

To: "NASS" <nass@yahoogroups.com>, "SpitList" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Delco vs Lucas
From: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:04:32 +0100
Hi folks, I'm after some clarification and list wisdom again. I've been sent
these questions regarding a Spitfire 4 from a new owner and his friend (who
also has a MkI so presumably is curious himself as to the answers.) I know
that the Delco/Lucas debate tends to be a personal choice and people will
defend both corners but I'm hoping for some relatively simplified
explanations that I can understand myself, and can pass back to these guys
to help them make their own choice.

Suzie
Spitfire MkI, II & III Secretary, TSSC
'68 MkIII - Baby Blue
'62 Spitfire 4 - Sybil

*******
What do you know about Lucas distributors. I am being told that I need to
junk the Delco distributor on my Spit and fit a Lucas one. The Lucas one
does not have a rev counter drive so I am told so I need to have the rev
counter converted to electronic. I am sure I saw a 1500 at the scrapyard
with a Lucas distributor and a rev counter drive. Will this fit do you know
?.
********
He states that he needs to change the distributer from a Delco to a Lucus.
Why I don't know and what's wrong with Delco?
He said that he would need to convert his rev counter to electronic. Does he
need to go to this bother?  Why not get a better distributer from a Mk3 or
Mk4 say?  They have cable drives.
********