Re: Triumph Hypochondria

Subject: Re: Triumph Hypochondria
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 03:44:38 -0800 (PST)
Talking of keeping our cars well maintained:

When I bought my Spit 1500 almost 2 years ago I had planned it to be a
daily driver and not to have too much to do to it.  This weekend I sorted
out and added up all of my bills to find that I had spent the same amount
that I spent on the car in the first place - #2000!  This includes: new
engine, new diff, rear suspension(shocks, bushes), front
suspension(shocks, springs, bushes, trunnions), wheel bearings, chrome
trim, exhaust, tyres, alternator, steering rack, brake pads and cooling
system pipes and hoses.  I reckon that pretty much every major system in
the car has had a repair made to it, the excpetions being the clutch,
gearbox (sychro on 1st to 2nd already gone) and propshaft (makes a clunk
noise when taking up the drive).  She has certainly cost me a lot more
than I had originally planned!

I also found the first bit of rust that is going to need a replacement
panel this weekend: water has got into the rear wing through the radio
aerial (I presume) and rusted the panel quite badly at the bottom.  The
other side is perfect.  There is also a fair bit of rust at the rear of
the near side sill by the drain hole(I think it's a drain hole).  This
doesn't look too bad and I'm hoping it can be repaired without having to
go through fitting an entire new sill.  Liberal amounts of waxoyl were
sprayed onto both rust areas to try and slow the rot until I can get
round to repairing it.

Also gave her a polish and removed the water mark on the bonnet with
'Farecla G3' rubbing compound - worked a treat!  Thanks to Colin for that
recommendation.

This weeks job is the steering rack which will hopefully be fitted in
time for easter weekend so we can drive down to my parents in Saskia
rather than the Nissan Sunny.

cheers
John
http://www.spit1500.co.uk/