Re: Triumph Hypochondria

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph Hypochondria
From: EDENMA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:22:18 EST
Hi Folks!

I had to laugh at "Triumph Hypochondria."  I have driven all of my Triumphs
on long trips from time to time without even so much as a second thought.
Lets see: TR-6, Los Angeles to Pittsburgh, PA.  (I did stop in Grand
Junction, CO to repack the right front wheel bearing in a Sears parking lot
on a Sunday afternoon. Required about 30 min.) 1 year later I took the same
car back to San Francisco.  I then flew back to Pittsburgh and drove the
Spitfire to San Francisco.  Two years later I pulled the Spitfire with the
TR-6 from San Francisco to Denver where we now all happily reside with the
addition of a GT-6, Stag, and our two sons!  I did lean the carbs before
starting up the mountains.  Even dragging the Spit up the mountain passes, we
passed other cars like they were tied to a post!  I do carry a small but
complete tool box, along with a manual and a spool of stainless steel lock
wire when proceeding on any trip.  (You would be surprised at the number of
things that can be fixed on the road with lock wire!  I have a roll in every
car!)

In short, if the car is reliable enough to be a daily driver I would not be
afraid to take it coast to coast. (I guess because I have!)  If it isn't, it
may be requiring a little more of your time under the bonnet.  As long as you
keep things repaired and properly adjusted these are the greatest (and
reliable) little cars on the planet!

Best Regards,

Mark
73 Spit, 73 GT-6, 73 Stag, 76 TR-6