Re: Going topless - but where do the windows go?

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Going topless - but where do the windows go?
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:32:05 -0800 (PST)
--- Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com> wrote:
> In article <20020225134718.95622.qmail@web9606.mail.yahoo.com>, John
> Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >I think I'll disagree with you here Mike.  I believe that the flaps
> >actually go on the inside.
>
> You're not disagreeing - you're agreeing!   Flaps on the inside, window
>
> on the outside.

Oh yeah, been a long day!

> >  If you have a well fitting soft-top and
> >window then there should be a lip just above the wound up window to
> drain
> >the rain away.
>
> True - but there is a tiny gap at the very top corner of the window,
> where the corners of the door seal, soft-top and window meet, which is
> where water seems to come in (at least on Carly).

me too, although Saskia hasn't got too wet this year, my garage roof
doesn't leak... (grrrr)

> >Practically though, in wet weather, it makes much more sense to have
> the
> >flaps on the outside if you don't like sitting in a puddle and getting
> >electric shocks from the gear stick becuase it's so wet...
>
> I've never tried this - I would have thought that although it would
> help
> prevent water coming in, it would get *very* drafty, given that there
> would be nothing holding the edges of the soft-top in place.   And of
> course, you'd want to remember that you'd done this before you tried to
>
> open the door with the window wound up...

yes, and also if you are going at speed the wind catches the soft top and
pulls the vertical flaps at the back, back, creating a draft and a nice
water trap to transfer water down the sides...

cheers
John
http://sports.yahoo.com