Re: Automatic transmission

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Automatic transmission
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 20:23:30 +0000
In article <3C657E25.D737C213@gte.net>, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
writes

>Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
>
>> (BTW, Joe, I don't know how long you are anticipating living, but I
>> reckon that these will certainly be "high-value collector cars" within
>> the next forty years or so - and I'm only 34...)
>>

>Well, since I am on the other end of the curve (will be 55 on April
>Fool's Day), I suspect you have a much better chance of seeing them
>become high
>dollar cars than I do.

I have this mental image of a seventeen-year-old list-member, sitting at
his PC, laughing fit to bust at both of us. <g>

>Another issue is where you are located.  In Europe they apparently are
>valued higher than in the states.  I guess it has to do with how widely
>they
>were distributed in the particular area.  I have noticed that there are
>many US spec cars registered in the database as residing in Europe.
>That in
>itself speaks volumes since it is no trivial matter to ship one across
>the pond!

A really nice late-model Spitfire will set you back over USD6000 in UK -
and the earlier ones are more expensive still, as anything registered
before 1973 is exempt from road tax.   I get the impression that you'd
have to throw in a free Ford Escort to get that sort of money for one in
the US.

>I only HOPE I am around 40 years from now!!!

I hope you are too!

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"