RE: Hello Again!

To: "'Michael Hargreave Mawson'" <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Hello Again!
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:46:47 +0100
Mike asked:

Have you worked out how on earth you are going to replace the windscreen
surround on Daffy yet?   From what little I know (and saw), I can't
think of a suitably solid place to weld the new surround to the car.

Not sure about that yet.  As far as I can tell, it appears that the
windscreen surround is welded on (with short stretches of welding, not
continuously, strangely) just below a small lip, that runs round from the
top of the A-post round the top of the bulkhead (just in front of the vents
for the heater).  So it may simply be a case of getting these welds
un-welded and getting the replacement windscreen surround welded in in
place.  The windscreen isn't intended to be structural, so I doubt there is
anywhere particularly substantial to weld it to.

In any case, I expect the details will become more apparent when I dismantle
that half-a-car that TRGB sent me away with.  I'll take advice from whoever
I get to do the work - after all, they will know more about welding cars
than I do!

Well done finding that chrome trim.  Yes, the rear window does have a chrome
trim around the seal - from what I can remember (having hardly glanced at
the hard-top for 6 months) I think have that trim fitted, but I may be
missing the corner pieces.  If not available new, I guess those are going to
be as hard to find as the lower trim bit...

Richard and Daffy