Re: Hello Again!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hello Again!
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:01:14 +0100
In article <11EEFA4B6844D511A0E70008C71E9F0138343A@ABDEXH01>, Richard
Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com> writes

>    Mike asked:
>
>    Have you worked out how on earth you are going to replace the
>    windscreen
>    surround on Daffy yet?   From what little I know (and saw), I can't
>    think of a suitably solid place to weld the new surround to the
>    car.
>

>    Not sure about that yet.  As far as I can tell, it appears that the
>    windscreen surround is welded on (with short stretches of welding,
>    not continuously, strangely) just below a small lip, that runs
>    round from the top of the A-post round the top of the bulkhead
>    (just in front of the vents for the heater).  So it may simply be a
>    case of getting these welds un-welded and getting the replacement
>    windscreen surround welded in in place.

Here's hoping that it turns out to be that easy.

>  The windscreen isn't
>    intended to be structural, so I doubt there is anywhere
>    particularly substantial to weld it to.

This would explain why mine sits a lot further back after it has had a
soft-top on it than after it has had a hard-top on it.   The soft-top is
pulling it backwards, and the hard-top is pushing it back (forward) into
place.   If there is no solid metal holding it in place, it's no wonder
that it moves a bit.

>    In any case, I expect the details will become more apparent when I
>    dismantle that half-a-car that TRGB sent me away with.  I'll take
>    advice from whoever I get to do the work - after all, they will
>    know more about welding cars than I do!

I thought you were going to do this yourself?

>    Well done finding that chrome trim.  Yes, the rear window does have
>    a chrome trim around the seal - from what I can remember (having
>    hardly glanced at the hard-top for 6 months) I think have that trim
>    fitted, but I may be missing the corner pieces.  If not available
>    new, I guess those are going to be as hard to find as the lower
>    trim bit...

Listed as "NLA" in the Rimmer price list. :-(   The search goes on.

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"