RE: Club name and image

To: "Banbury, Terrence" <Terrence.Banbury@dnr.state.oh.us>,
Subject: RE: Club name and image
From: John Dowson <jdo@star.le.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:27:48 +0000
Hello everyone,

As a Brit with a long grey beard may I make a few observations about
Spits, P51s, JU88 and flying jackets.

All that I have seen on the list about proposed club insignia etc seems to
me to be quite acceptable.

If you have a look at some of the images of 8th AF crews in England back
in 1944 they and the A/C sported all sorts of flamboyant artwork. In some
cases it did cause problems if they were shot down and captured.

Britain has great nostalga for the WW2 period with many airshows which
include WW2 A/C taking place every year.
The Royal Air Force has its own Battle of Britain Flight with a Lancaster,
Spitfires and a Hurricane.

However we do live in Europe where much of the fighting actually took place.
If you go and look for it there are many signs of WW2 still in existence.

We should not forget that although the  club is for North America the list is
international.
Please do not disregard the feelings and sensitivities of people in
countries that were
on both sides. Sometimes family feelings are still delicate even after 50
years.

OK soapbox mode off.

Very best regards

John Dowson