Re: Carbon Canister

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carbon Canister
From: Ken C <kenwc@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 08:11:51 -0700
OK, so the gas tank has to be vented, and normally the fumes are sent to the
canister. When the engine is running, the canister is purged via the carb
port. I'm gonna leave the lines and canister in place, (and hold on to the
Stromberg carb, ya never know...). Joe's idea of running a vent line thru
the fender sounds good, any fumes are vented outside and behind you. That's
probably what I'll do.

Regarding a breather tube, I'm using a '69 pcv valve, (excuse me, an
emission control valve, they cost more than a pcv valve <BG>), which vents
the valve cover into the intake manifold. I have heard stories about oil
coming out of the dipstick 'cause of positive pressure without some kind of
vent. And my engine rebuilder says this engine will not leak, so I don't
want to force a leak. Don't ya just love that kind of positive thinking !!

And on to the next question, (separate post), about fuel lines...

Ken C.