Re:Spit Fuses

To: Spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Spit Fuses
From: "ralph.jannelli" <ralph.jannelli@cwix.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:15:02 -0400
I had something interesting happen today, although not to my Spit but to my
TR8 The TR8 has two electric fans. They are set up to run in series off a
thermal switch in the top of the radiator and switch to parallel through
some relays when a higher temperature switch near the thermostat kicks in.
There is a fuse that protects both fans when in series and one fan when in
parallel. There is a second fuse that protects the other fan only when in
parallel. While riding today I smelled something like paper burning and the
temp gauge was higher than normal. I pulled over and found the fans not
running. To make a long story short the paper I smelled was from one of the
original Lucas type fuses that use to come with a paper insert stating the
rating of the fuse. When I got home I pulled both fuses. The one with the
burn paper inside had the solder total melted away so you could easily
remove both end caps with your fingers. The wire fuse element was NOT
melted. The fuse overheated without blowing. The second fuse looked good but
showed not continuity. Close inspection shows melted solder that oozed out
from one of the end caps. This one is a newer type without the internal
paper.

What could cause the fuses to do this without blowing. Both are the correct
35/17 amp Lucas fuses?

Ralph Jannelli
Matthews, NC
'65 Spitfire MKII