Re: TD carb overflows

To: <deboer@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: TD carb overflows
From: "Carolyn & Bob Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 20:39:33 -0400
Jarl, OK, you trumped my ace!! Your experience is better than mine. I owned
a 53 TD in 1958 but can certainly not remember any details on the overflow
pipes.
Anyway, I  checked 12 TD/TF front bearer plates in my possession and they
ALL had the hole that you say was used for the overflow pipes. I then
checked 6 TC front bearer plates and NONE of them have the hole. So I guess
your routing could be correct for the TD, but the TC had the pipes over the
top.
However, I checked with an original owner of a 53 TD about the routing of
the carb overfl;ow pipes. The engine has never been out of the car, but the
carbs have been off and he states FOR SURE the pipes went over the top on
his TD.  The hole is also present on his front bearer plate.
So why did MG install the hole?? possibly to route the pipes through as you
say, but it appears that at least some TDs were built with the pipes over
the top. Also, of course the TC.
Anyway, I think the original question on fastening the pipes has been
answered.
regards, Bob
----------
> From: Jarl&CaroldeBoer <deboer@pacbell.net>
> To: cgrunau@pathcom.com
> Cc: mg-t@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: TD carb overflows
> Date: April 30, 1998 16:51
>
> Bob, I STILL do not agree. MY information is based on personal
> experience with the cars while working at the dealer (Auto Engineering
> in Lexington Mass.) in the very early 50s. ALL the cars were fitted as
> I've described. For those with more recent MG experience it is very easy
> to fall into the trap of believing the printed word - especially when
> it's the service manual!!!
>
> For a clear example of the problem: If you look at the exploded diagram
> of the TD/TF transmission on page F4, you'll see that the 1/2 gear hub
> has continuous splines between the detents. That was the original intent
> and so drawn by the artist in 1949. Cost factors made the factory go to
> the simpler, cheaper, annular groove - which wore and caused gear
> "rock", noise, and rapid wear. When Al Moss showed me his first
> prototype repro hub in the early 70s while I was in his office, I
> commented about that and he protested that he "had it made from the
> production drawings". I showed him the difference (which I had asked
> about and researched at the factory in the late 60s) and he subsequently
> changed them to the original design. This makes first gear much stronger
> and longer lasting when the hub is changed during a rebuild, but the
> whole process illustrates how you cannot necessarily believe the words
> and drawings in the factory manuals. Jarl
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Carolyn & Bob Grunau wrote:
> >
> > Jarl, sorry but I disagree with you on the routing of the carb overflow
> > pipes on the TD.
> > I always thought they passed OVER the front engine bearer plate, had a
90
> > degree bend down and were held by a single P ( or d ) clip which holds
both
> > pipes side by side and bolts to the 8.0 mm bolt holding the front
bearer
> > plate to the block on the outside of the timing cover.  We agree on the
> > clip.
> > The TC pipes were similarily routed.
> > For the TD, as a reference, check out page D-1 of the factory TD
Workshop