Re: TD carb overflows

To: cgrunau@pathcom.com
Subject: Re: TD carb overflows
From: Jarl&CaroldeBoer <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:51:47 -0700
Bob, I STILL do not agree. MY information is based on personal
experience with the cars while working at the dealer (Auto Engineering
in Lexington Mass.) in the very early 50s. ALL the cars were fitted as
I've described. For those with more recent MG experience it is very easy
to fall into the trap of believing the printed word - especially when
it's the service manual!!!

For a clear example of the problem: If you look at the exploded diagram
of the TD/TF transmission on page F4, you'll see that the 1/2 gear hub
has continuous splines between the detents. That was the original intent
and so drawn by the artist in 1949. Cost factors made the factory go to
the simpler, cheaper, annular groove - which wore and caused gear
"rock", noise, and rapid wear. When Al Moss showed me his first
prototype repro hub in the early 70s while I was in his office, I
commented about that and he protested that he "had it made from the
production drawings". I showed him the difference (which I had asked
about and researched at the factory in the late 60s) and he subsequently
changed them to the original design. This makes first gear much stronger
and longer lasting when the hub is changed during a rebuild, but the
whole process illustrates how you cannot necessarily believe the words
and drawings in the factory manuals. Jarl