Re: Stan Ficks' ??? re Synthetic Oil

To: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Stan Ficks' ??? re Synthetic Oil
From: The Law Book Store <thelaw@aloha.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 15:02:46 -1000 (HST)
Greg, I don' have any clinical reports but some anecdotal info.

Nigel has been running dot 5 (NAPA) since he was resurrected almost 4
years ago. My experience with the silicone fluid has been good. It seems
a bit more "slick" and required that I hone the master cylindars a bit
more smoothly or they leak. I also suspect that (the slickness) may be the
cause for the brake warning switch to leak. (My son is studying in
England now and I may ask him to locate some seals for me.)

I replaced the HD clutch for a standard one because it was heavy, and it
may be that your clutch is loosing it's "spring". Hard to tell though. I
like the idea that the aluminum slaves don't pit because there's no
water in the fluid and I think more
importantly for me the caliper pistons won't rust through the chrome
plating and stick. (Causing a severe pulling to the nonsticking piston).
This was a serious problem on all my TR's when I bought them.
I havn't noticed any issues but for the brake failure switch leaking.

As for the oils. I only changed those over when Nigel lost his head the
second time. The dissimilar metals in the valves and guides needed to be
widened by 2 to 3 thousands for clearance. Then oil would go down the
guides & stems Thus the need for PC seals. But for the "slick" of the
synthetics the rear transmission seal started leaking just after I
switched over in the transmission. Who knows... I just attribute it to
the change.

I trust that this helps.. Good Motoring & Aloha.

    Paul Swengler                        Providing Hawaii's Legal Community
    The Law Book Store              with quality legal materials since 1990
    Voice: 808-422-6322         New & Used Books, Anatomical Models, CD-Rom