more on horns

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: more on horns
From: wade@ops.tridom.com (Wade Massengil)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 94 21:04:21 EDT
Greasings and lubrications, All...

        While we are all blowing our own horns...

        Early on in the restoration of Daisy the Yellow Car ('70 MGB) I
removed both horns, hi and low, tested them and found them working. :^)
I then wire-brushed them very clean and painted them. After testing once
more they were carefully wrapped and stored away for...oh...2 or 3 years.

        Daisy got her horns back during the "What other little thing can
I bolt back onto the freshly painted shell and then sit back and look at"
phase of the project.

        Months later, after refurbing the wiring harness myself (Take two,
make one. Try it! Such FUN!) and installing most of the electrics I began
a series of sub-system tests. Lights, OK. Wipers...fiddle...fiddle...OK
Horns...only one voice. Hmmm. None at junk yards, catalogs are not OEM.

        So I took a hint from dealing with flaky SU fuel pumps. I figured
it's British and has contacts...so I smacked the non-functional high horn
with my smallest ball-peen hammer. BLeeeaaaahhh! I smacked it again.
Brrreeeeep! I went and got my son to hold the horn switch down and continued
"adjusting" untill it sounded the way I wanted it to.

        Hey...no problem.

        Reminded me of those steel drums they play in Jamacia...

        Wade

        Daisy the Yellow Car...'70 B