Re: More TR4 questions ...

To: Charles.Y.Farwell@att.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More TR4 questions ...
From: LESNYD@ccmail.monsanto.com
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 94 16:28:37 CST
Subject: More TR4 questions ...
Author:  Charles.Y.Farwell@att.com
Date:    10/10/94  4:11 PM

> Working at a fever pitch to fix the numerous problems on my new
> LBC, I have come up with more in a continuing series of
> queries:

It's been a while since I had a TR4, but I think I can remember some
stuff...

> 1) With the car I received 2 "snap-on" chrome headlight trim
> rings. For the life of me I cannot snap them on. They appear to
> be the right diameter, and they come really close to snapping,
> but the metal frame  over which I imagine they snap has the upper part
> bent (by design, not damage) upward, and there appears to be no
> mating "bend" on the chrome rings.
>
> Has anyone tried this before? Do I have the wrong part?  HELP!

The chrome headlight rings are a big pain, IMHO. They are the same
for most Triumphs. The ring chould have a little tab riveted to it
near the joint. This tab snaps into a slot at the bottom of the
headlight. At least, it's supposed to. It takes a lot of effort
to get it to snap into that slot. If you look carefully, you'll
see that the slot is open, and with enough pressure the table will
snap into it. The lips at the top and sides are to hold the ring.

> 2) What's the opinion of the quality of the vinyl seat covers
> sold by all the mail-order shops. I don't really want to shell
> out for leather, but I do want it to look nice.

The vinyl looked fine on the original seats, as far as I know. I
don't think the TR4s had leather anyway.

> 3) Where is the steering column grounded on the TR4. I've
> determined that the fact that the horn doesn't work is due to my
> steering column, and subsequently horn button, being isolated
> from ground - but I don't know where/how to fix it!
>
> Both conductor wires around the rubber steering column bushings
> appear to be intact, but I don't really know what they are for,
> or if they are involved here. Any hints?

There should be a grounding strap between the steering column and
the body in the engine compartment - I can't remember the exact
location, but it should be easy to spot...

>Thanks,
>Charlie
>1962 TR4 #CT 3852

Good luck!