Re: today's quiz

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu, Will@apple.com, Zehring@apple.com,
Subject: Re: today's quiz
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 94 14:49:48 -0700
In message <Pine.3.05.9410101118.C13748-a100000@northpole.med.uvm.edu> "W. Ray
Gibbons" writes:
> Will:
>
> I will guess it had to do with the engine rocking on its mounts one way
> when going forward, and the reverse when backing up.  I would inspect the
> coil primary wire and the engine ground wire first.
>
>    Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                 Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                 gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910
>

> On Mon, 10 Oct 1994, Will Zehring wrote:
>
> > One time a fellow with an XJ6 came into the shop with the following
> > problem.
> >  The car ran fine at idle, but would misfire badly under hard acceleration.
> >
> > Interestingly, it would run fine under hard acceleration, BUT ONLY IF IT
> > WAS
> > IN REVERSE, moving backwards.
> >
> > What is the explanation?
> >
> > Will "Watch this space" Zehring

Check fuel filter first.  Then timing.  Its ether starving on fuel or the timing
is not correct at higher RPMs, my vote  is fuel starvation.  By the way,
reverse gear is not high enough to put a load on an engine.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561