Re: bright taillights

To: Mike Burdick <mburdick@unmc.edu>
Subject: Re: bright taillights
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 1994 15:55:34 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 7 Jan 1994, Mike Burdick wrote:

> halogen bulbs draw less current.  Putting a conventional bulb in a
> system designed for halogens risks melting wires.
>
> This does not really address Roland's question about bulb temperature
> though.  While drawing less current, a halogen bulb is still brighter
> and must be radiating more energy....  I don't know! The rest of the

I already have talked way too much today, but damn.  Seems to me this is
getting all messed up, because of comparing apples and oranges.  If you
replace a 32 w incandescent with a 32 w halogen, it seems to me both
should draw the same current, because the current draw defines the wattage
in a constant voltage system.  IF, in fact, halogens are more efficient
than conventional (as I expect they are), then the 32 w halogen would give
more light.  It would be like replacing a 40 watt incandescent bulb with
two 20 watt fluorescents.  More light, same power.  Heat should decrease,
but whether the decrease would be substantial or not, I cannot say.  Seems
I remember that the power dissipation by heat is a lot greater than the
power dissipation in the form of light, so one might get a lot more light
without much decreasing the heat output.

But I thought the thread was to replace something like a 32 watt
conventional bulb by something like a 55 watt halogen, and in that case I
expect the current and heat would be very likely to go up.

We need a pro, so far there is more heat than light in the discussion,
whether or not there is in the bulbs.

Ray (I am ready for the weekend) Gibbons