Re: bright taillights

To: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Subject: Re: bright taillights
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 17:16:17 PST
        Uh, but the industry standard 1156 is a single element 21 watt bulb.
        Perhaps you meant the 1157  (21/5).

Hmm. OK, I stand corrected - I must have been looking at the backup
lamp reference most recently! (BTW, does anyone know what the different
between 1157 and 2157 is?)

I agree that a 50w stop bulb would not be a good idea for an automatic
tranny car with plastic lenses. I'm going to be investigating my
switches and wiring before installing; I suspect, though, that it'll be
OK for use with a manual tranny. But I'll have to train myself to use
the handbrake for long lights!

My guess is that looking at them at night will not be a problem. The
lens and reflector design in most taillamps is pretty inefficient.

Speaking of halogen lamps, I've been looking for a set of H4 bulbs with
a P45 base - that is, bulbs to fit into Lucas Tripods (PL700). I had a
pair (55/60w), one burned out, and I have no backup. I don't want to
put the tungsten units back in. I can get 80/100w units, and will pop
some in as soon as I get the relays wired, but this isn't my ideal
solution. Does anyone *know* where I can find some?