Spitfire 1500 Clutch Help Needed

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire 1500 Clutch Help Needed
From: totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 10:00:27 CDT
        I've got a clutch problem.

        While dropping in a replacement gearbox into my 1980 Spitfire, I
        decided to replace the clutch plate as well.  I finally got the
        tranny all bolted back up (quite painfully), and wanted to test it
        before I went any further.

        Unfortunately, I'm not convinced the clutch is working now :-(

        With the clutch depressed, I can't turn the tranny drive shaft by
        hand (though I can easily in neutral).  Worse yet, when the engine
        is cranked, the drive shaft turns too!  The clutch appears to be
        doing something because I can rotate the shaft slightly when the
        clutch is depressed, and there does seem to be resistance on the
        clutch pedal.  I bled the hydraulics as well.

        Is this normal behavior for an un-worn clutch?  What else could I
        have done wrong?  My Bentley and Haynes manuals told me to insert
        the driven plate backwards to the note on the driven plate itself.
        Were these instructions wrong?

        Can anyone give me some advice?  I don't mind spending the many hours
        tearing this down again, if I know what to do differently.  Does
        anyone have experience with this???

                                                        Frustrated,

                                                        --- Brian

   /                       Brian Totty             o o
  /__  __  o     Department of Computer Science     o
 /  / /   /          1304 W. Springfield Ave       \_/  "We have corn in
/__/ /   /               Urbana, IL 61801                Massachusetts too!"
                        totty@cs.uiuc.edu