Spitfire 1500 Clutch Help Needed

To: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
Subject: Spitfire 1500 Clutch Help Needed
From: totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 92 12:18:46 CDT
> \I'm going to try to flip the disk around, but I'm a bit nervous about that
> \because I'm pretty sure I followed my Bentley & Haynes manuals to the letter
> \about the orientation of the disk.  I'm also going to replace all the clutch
> \components this time, instead of just the disk.
>
> Whoa!  Slow down!  Have you tried to DRIVE the car yet?  Several times I have
> changed a clutch and found that it did not disengage when I tested it by hand
> in the garage, only to find out it was OK.
> Everything straightened out in about two hours of driving.  Worked fine after
> that.
>
> So DRIVE the car before you panic.  If you are wrong, you can still take it
>all
>  apart again anyway.

        I thought it might be wear-in problem, but  there are a few things I
should
        have done anyway (like replace all clutch parts at once).  Furthermore,
many
        people have told me that you should be able to turn it under hand
pressure.

        So, I'm going to "do the job right" this time, and then we'll see.  I'm
not
        particularly eager to "take it all apart again"! :-)

        I'll let you know what happens...