Re: Play in steering wheel

To: pacdata!dave@ucsd.edu
Subject: Re: Play in steering wheel
From: sanders@triton.unm.edu
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 92 08:20:37 -0600
Regarding rebuilding steering columns...

I recently went through both my 68 and 69 MGB columns. In addition, I went
through the used 71 (or 72) column I put in the 68. I resorted to finding a
good used one (be careful to check for front end hits in the donor car) after
I concluded that there was no way to properly fix the 68 column. All of
these are the collapsable kind and have no obviously replaceable parts/bushes.
Early (pre68) columns do have bushes, but these are the solid pole columns.
One thing to look out for when swapping columns... while the geometry and mounts
are very similiar, the steering wheel splines and retaining nut threads are
different between 68/69 and 71-on.

John Sanders