Re: Play in steering wheel

To: barbara@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (Barbara Holder)
Subject: Re: Play in steering wheel
From: Scott Alexander <salex@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 92 17:23:55 PDT
        I recently purchased a '68 MGB and there is some play in
        the steering wheel (about 1/2 inch). Is this normal? Its
        a little annoying.

When I first got my '69, the nut holding the steering wheel to the
shaft was loose, allowing the sort of play you describe.  By pulling
off the cover and tightening the nut, I was able to get very tight
steering.

Failing that, I can send you the suggestions that I got from the list
at the time.  Essentially, they consist of having someone turn the
wheel while you watch the various bits of the steering system to see
if they are turning or not.  The point where one item is turning and
the next item is not is where you need to do some work.

Scott