Re: U/B in ST

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: U/B in ST
From: "Josh Sirota" <josh@sirota.org>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:20:57 -0700
Mark Andy wrote:
> I'd say "Streetable SP" and "bolt on stock" are two ways of saying the
> same thing, depending on who you talk to...  Afterall, UD/BD is a bolt on
> process, or its not legal.  :-)

I see this sort of assertion made every once in a while, but, frankly folks,
it's not in the book (read it!)

It just says that parts may be interchanged.

My assertion is that a "part" is any individual unit of the car, trackable
with an assigned "part number", that can be ordered through the standard
dealer network in a state that is unattached to any other parts.

If this part that I have obtained from the dealer requires welding to detach
the old one and attach the new one, I don't see the issue there.  It's just
a method of attachment, and the update/backdate rules say nothing about the
method of attachment.

I can imagine a case where the roof panel of a car is orderable from the
factory.  Just the roof panel.  There are likely to be two varieties, one
with a hole for a sunroof, and one without.  If this panel can be ordered
independently of any other parts, I would argue that it should be a
candidate for update/backdate, even though attaching it requires welding.