Re: Why smaller wheels in Prepared?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Why smaller wheels in Prepared?
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 06:43:20 -0500
I have been following this thread with some amusement.

I think that 13v11 1/2" tires on 13x10 rims are wide enough
for a 1900 lb car - - wouldn't want to go any wider! I have a
hard enough time getting heat into my R25 or R33 Hoosiers
with what I have!!! Won't discuss the natural rubber drag race
tubes in order to get heat (another $50 or see each corner).

The SP cars are heavier than P, with R tires instead of slicks.
When one chops the car up, lightening it by a couple humdred
(or more) pounds, they are changing the geometry of their
suspension.When they change from "R" to slicks, they are
changing the handling characteristics. In both cases, there
is a world of differences (changes), in the same car, in order to
make it "work" for them. Some of them ain't cheap, either!!

Shocks, springs, sway bars (I had to try 6 different sway bars
and configurations before I found a setup I liked). Ad Nauseum.
Then there are costs like seats, Lexan, not to mention the power
train mods.

The discussion about making a wheel change one of those
things needed to make this transition is simply one more
consideration in order to make the car "work" in it's new
configuration.

You see, wheels simply are not the only thiong that needs
attention to turn an SP car to a P car. Why focus on them
alone? The cost of a new set of wheels is nominal compared
to some of he other costs required to be competitive in Prepared,
compared to Street Prepared.

Is there anybody out there that has actually taken an SP car
and prepared it to the rules in the Prepared catagory? If so,
were wheels really a major consideration? I think not, but if so
would like to discuss it with you in private. (Not wannabe's,
somebody that has actually done it.)

George
1900 lb AP Fiero